Forgot password?  |  Register  |    
User Name:     Password:    

Sonic Boom (Wii U/3DS) Announced

Reply #1 - February 06, 2014 08:28 PM EST
Nick DiMola
STAFF

So, along with a new TV series, Sega is going to be publishing a new Sonic game on both the Wii U and the 3DS. Interestingly enough the 3DS game is going to be developed by Sanzaru Games, known for their work on the latest Sly Cooper game, Thieves in Time. And the Wii U game is being developed by another western company, who's also a complete newcomer to the world of gaming, Big Red Button. That studio is headed up by Bob Rafei, a longtime art director for Naughty Dog.

Apparently, Sega is fishing the Sony talent pool for this latest edition of the series. In a way, I find this exciting, because it almost certainly means a fresh take on the series. At the same time, I thought Lost World turned out pretty solid and wouldn't have minded another game in that vein. In any event, you can check out the trailer below and see the janky looking character models in the latest adventure, which seems reminiscent of Ratchet & Clank. Oh, one last thing, the game actually seems to look pretty good as it's running on the Wii U using CryEngine 3.

Reply #2 - February 07, 2014 12:55 AM EST
Super Step
STAFF

Honestly, I'm excited. First the trailer on VA's blog, now I find out people who worked on Sly Cooper are involved? Funny that I downloaded Generations demo on Steam only a few minutes ago without knowing there was a new Sonic announcement. Something in the air.

Reply #3 - February 07, 2014 02:20 AM EST
Vice's Assistant

OK, I did not know about the people from Sly 4 working on this one. It might actually be better than I thought. Still, its weird to have a Sonic Platfomer NOT being developed by Sonic Team. Hopefully that will be a good thing.

Reply #4 - February 07, 2014 07:23 PM EST
daftman

Looks...very different for a Sonic game but definitely has potential to be awesome.

Reply #5 - February 08, 2014 12:38 AM EST
Coolsetzer

Wow, is Knuckles looking beefy or what?! lol

And PLEASE! Kill Amy. He belongs with Princess Sally Acorn.

Reply #6 - March 12, 2014 05:13 PM EDT
V4Viewtiful

Knuckles resembles the Ancient Echidna look from the Sonic Adventure games, it's hard to adjust :/

Reply #7 - March 15, 2014 01:01 PM EDT
Alex-C25

And PLEASE! Kill Amy. He belongs with Princess Sally Acorn.

I don't think you know it, but Sally isn't part of the videogames continuity but of Archie's Sonic comics and the cartoon, both things outside the videogames (and what's the problem with Amy?).

Anyway, haven't seen the trailer, so I think i'll later write some first impressions once I see the video.

Replies 1 - 7  of  7  1