Forgot password?  |  Register  |    
User Name:     Password:    

Retro City Rampage (DX) - Gaming Parody at its Finest

Reply #1 - February 11, 2014 11:46 PM EST
Nick DiMola
STAFF

Been playing this one since it dropped on the 3DS eShop and I have to say I'm thoroughly impressed. So many great references to old games and to general '80s and '90s culture. It really takes me back. I mean, the gameplay itself is basically old school top-down GTA, but the throwbacks are totally worth the ride even if the game style isn't your thing.

Anybody else playing this one?

Reply #2 - February 12, 2014 01:14 AM EST
Super Step
STAFF

I put it on my wishlist. I'll see how that top-down style suits me by playing Hotline Miami first, cause I remember not liking GTA I or II very much from what I played or maybe just watched at the next door neighbor's house (I wasn't allowed to play those until much later in my parents' house). 

I do like the trailers for it on Steam.

Reply #3 - February 12, 2014 05:54 AM EST
Joaquim Mira
STAFF

I bought the Wii version when it came out, and played a bit of it, but never went back.

Reply #4 - February 12, 2014 06:57 AM EST
Nick DiMola
STAFF

I put it on my wishlist. I'll see how that top-down style suits me by playing Hotline Miami first, cause I remember not liking GTA I or II very much from what I played or maybe just watched at the next door neighbor's house (I wasn't allowed to play those until much later in my parents' house). 

I do like the trailers for it on Steam.

I was not a fan of Hotline Miami. Tonally they are much different games, so take that for what you will. RCR's mechanics are really smooth and forgiving, so it actually feels very nice to play. It looks like I'm about a third of the way through the game, so I'll give a better breakdown once I get done with it.

For more info on Hotline Miami, I was very much in agreement with Julian's review on it.

Reply #5 - February 12, 2014 07:25 AM EST
transmet2033

GTA 2 was my favourite in the series until Chinatown Wars came out.  I think that the game is far more focused than it's 3D brothers.  Plus, the humor is really dark... you go and pick up random people and make hot dogs out of them.  

I was thinking about getting this game, but I am torn between getting it on the Vita or 3DS.

Reply #6 - February 12, 2014 09:28 AM EST
Nick DiMola
STAFF

I was thinking about getting this game, but I am torn between getting it on the Vita or 3DS.

I don't think the Vita version has the DX upgrades in the 3DS version. Take that for what you will.

Reply #7 - February 12, 2014 10:00 AM EST
transmet2033

3DS version it is.  I just got back into 3DS gaming again with Rune Factory 4 so it is probably a good idea to keep gaming on that handheld.

Reply #8 - February 12, 2014 01:29 PM EST
Coolsetzer

I played it on the PSN. It was free for quite awhile. I thought that it was okay. I don't remember seeing any references, though. Maybe they were too obscure?

Reply #9 - February 12, 2014 01:59 PM EST
Nick DiMola
STAFF

I played it on the PSN. It was free for quite awhile. I thought that it was okay. I don't remember seeing any references, though. Maybe they were too obscure?

If you were into the NES/Atari and around in the '80s/'90s, the references are pretty apparent. The first mission has a Frogger reference, a TMNT 1 reference (this one was subtle), and a Super Mario Bros. reference. Shortly thereafter you see Metal Gear, Punch Out, Paper Boy, Back to the Future, Adam West Batman, Game Genie, the Konami Code, and more than I can even keep track of.

Basically every mission you head out on is a call out to something from the past. It's really funny and worked in really masterfully. You should check it out again, because the callbacks are all really great.

Reply #10 - February 13, 2014 06:43 PM EST
Aboboisdaman

I played through RCR on PSN, and bought it yet again off the Humble store. I loved it. So many references to my childhood and favorite games. Plus I like the old school GTAs so that helps too. Some of the missions get really tough.

Reply #11 - February 14, 2014 10:44 AM EST
Nick DiMola
STAFF

I played through RCR on PSN, and bought it yet again off the Humble store. I loved it. So many references to my childhood and favorite games. Plus I like the old school GTAs so that helps too. Some of the missions get really tough.

The number of throwbacks is incredible. I just played a mission that was basically Splosion Man. Not that it's a game I particularly enjoy, but it's crazy to see something like that essentially recreated here. I think I'm very close to the end of the game now, so I'll likely be producing a review over the weekend.

Reply #12 - February 14, 2014 09:12 PM EST
Matt Snee
STAFF

I'm going to buy this soon.  I was watching a trailer for it today.  Just can't get Tactics Ogre and FFIX out of my mind. 

Reply #13 - February 15, 2014 08:35 PM EST
Nick DiMola
STAFF

Game complete as of yesterday. End of the game was a bit of a grind, but I made it. It's not a flawless game, but I did enjoy it quite a bit. I'll see if I can crank out a review this weekend, so be sure to check the front page for it next week.

Reply #14 - February 19, 2014 01:45 PM EST
Machocruz

I love retro. Coincidentally, I have had this game on my mind for a few days now, on a short list of inexpensive games I want to buy in the near future, along with Hotline Miami, Project Zomboid, Monaco. You've helped make my decision a little easier.

Replies 1 - 14  of  14  1