Forgot password?  |  Register  |    
User Name:     Password:    

Third Party Nintendo Games - Share Your Ideas!

Reply #1 - February 03, 2014 02:12 PM EST
Nick DiMola
STAFF

During Nintendo's last investor meeting late last week, they revealed that they need to start allowing third parties use some of their IP to create games, presumably to fill the gaps in the release schedule created by the lack of said group. Hyrule Warriors appears to be the first fruit from that relationship, which should at least be interesting. Not a huge fan of the Warriors games, but I am a total Zelda whore, so I'll be there at launch.

So, the point of this thread is simple - what property do you want to see picked up by a third party, which third party do you want working on it, and what's the gist of the game you'd want them to make.

To kick things off - I want Nintendo to let Platinum Games have a crack at StarFox. It would be totally over-the-top in the best way possible. 

Reply #2 - February 03, 2014 03:33 PM EST
transmet2033

I wouldn't mind seeing ChAIR work on a Metroid sequel.  They did a great job with their "love letter" to Metroid, Shadow Complex.

Reply #3 - February 03, 2014 03:36 PM EST
Casey Curran
STAFF

A couple ideas I have are Double Fine make an Earthbound game and From Software make a Metroid

Reply #4 - February 03, 2014 03:50 PM EST
Nick DiMola
STAFF

I wouldn't mind seeing ChAIR work on a Metroid sequel.  They did a great job with their "love letter" to Metroid, Shadow Complex.

I definitely need to play that one. I've meant to pick it up for ages, but for whatever reason I keep missing it. From what I've heard, it's pretty much a Metroid game already - is that right?

A couple ideas I have are Double Fine make an Earthbound game and From Software make a Metroid

I'd be all over an Earthbound from Double Fine. Love to see them take a crack at pretty much anything in the Nintendo library and see how it turns out. I'm assuming your From Software Metroid would be a 3D game?

Modified by Nick DiMola on February 03, 2014 03:52 PM EST.
Reply #5 - February 03, 2014 04:07 PM EST
Joaquim Mira
STAFF

Wave Race - Can't see anybody doing this game, but Nick had suggested a company which I can't remember right now. After asking him, Vector Unit.

F-Zero - Shin'en

Eternal Darkness - Precursor Games >.> yeah I know, but is there really anyone else willing to do it genuinely.

Well that's it for now until I can think of any more games/companies.

Reply #6 - February 03, 2014 04:11 PM EST
Nick DiMola
STAFF

Eternal Darkness - Precursor Games >.> yeah I know, but is there really anyone else willing to do it genuinely.

Retro, man. We need Retro on that. Forget these Precursor fools. The real talent that made ED is long gone from SK and thus Precursor.

Reply #7 - February 03, 2014 04:18 PM EST
transmet2033

I would trust Retro with any of NIntendo properties.  Especially the ones that have been pushed off to the side and forgotten.

At the same time Retro is first-party and isn't really part of this third-party discussion. 

Modified by transmet2033 on February 03, 2014 04:25 PM EST.
Reply #8 - February 03, 2014 04:33 PM EST
Casey Curran
STAFF

Yeah, I'd go with a 3D one. I'm not a DS fan, but they know how to hide secrets in an atmospheric world well, which I think would work great in Metroid.

Reply #9 - February 03, 2014 06:18 PM EST
Joaquim Mira
STAFF

Metroid (3D exploration) - Insomniac. I'm playing Ratchet & Clank Into the Nexus, and it just popped in my head. They're perfect.

Retro, man. We need Retro on that. Forget these Precursor fools. The real talent that made ED is long gone from SK and thus Precursor.

Like transmet2033 said, Retro ain't a third party Tongue Out.

Reply #10 - February 03, 2014 06:36 PM EST
Nick DiMola
STAFF

Yeah, yeah. I guess my point is, no Precursor, because they probably suck Tongue Out.

Reply #11 - February 03, 2014 07:29 PM EST
Joaquim Mira
STAFF

Yeah, yeah. I guess my point is, no Precursor, because they probably suck Tongue Out.

Fair enough... what if FromSoftware (Dark Souls team) made an Eternal Darkness.

Reply #12 - February 03, 2014 08:38 PM EST
transmet2033

There is a reason that Precursor was unable to secure funding for their spiritual successor to Eternal Darkness.  They probably suck.

Reply #13 - February 03, 2014 09:07 PM EST
Captain N

I was going to blog about this but I'll participate. I was surprised when Ninty said that, considering people didn't take kindly to Other M, but Hyrule Warriors looks great so I'm willing to give to see where this goes.

Sumo Digital: F-Zero They did the Sonic All-Stars Racing games and they said they'd make a new F-Zero if Nintendo  let em. Sega did a great job with GX and Sumo's bread and butter are racing games, so it would be a great fit.

Even though they aren't third-party, I agree that Retro could work on more games but they said they could only work on 2 projects at once, 1 big one and a small one. Which is sad because they have alot of potential. I want them to work on a new IP though.

Reply #14 - February 03, 2014 10:44 PM EST
Super Step
STAFF

During Nintendo's last investor meeting late last week, they revealed that they need to start allowing third parties use some of their IP to create games, presumably to fill the gaps in the release schedule created by the lack of said group. Hyrule Warriors appears to be the first fruit from that relationship, which should at least be interesting. Not a huge fan of the Warriors games, but I am a total Zelda whore, so I'll be there at launch.

So, the point of this thread is simple - what property do you want to see picked up by a third party, which third party do you want working on it, and what's the gist of the game you'd want them to make.

To kick things off - I want Nintendo to let Platinum Games have a crack at StarFox. It would be totally over-the-top in the best way possible. 

I agree with Star Fox being done by Platinum Games. I also still want iNiS to collaborate with them on Elite Beat Fox, a rythym-action version of Star Fox that can be a mini-game in the Platinum game or something.

Reply #15 - February 03, 2014 10:46 PM EST
Super Step
STAFF

I was going to blog about this but I'll participate. I was surprised when Ninty said that, considering people didn't take kindly to Other M, but Hyrule Warriors looks great so I'm willing to give to see where this goes.

Sumo Digital: F-Zero They did the Sonic All-Stars Racing games and they said they'd make a new F-Zero if Nintendo  let em. Sega did a great job with GX and Sumo's bread and butter are racing games, so it would be a great fit.

Even though they aren't third-party, I agree that Retro could work on more games but they said they could only work on 2 projects at once, 1 big one and a small one. Which is sad because they have alot of potential. I want them to work on a new IP though.

I should visit their HQ in Austin some time, if they do that sort of thing. I'm only three hours away most of the time. 

And I'd love a new F-Zero as well, but bring back the metal from X! Or have two soundtracks, one like X, the other like GX. I'm down with that.

Reply #16 - February 03, 2014 10:48 PM EST
Super Step
STAFF

Agreed, send the money to the place three hours away from me I wouldn't mind living and working. Laughing

Reply #17 - February 04, 2014 01:45 AM EST
Captain N

I should visit their HQ in Austin some time, if they do that sort of thing. I'm only three hours away most of the time. 

And I'd love a new F-Zero as well, but bring back the metal from X! Or have two soundtracks, one like X, the other like GX. I'm down with that.

I loved the metal soundtrack in X more than the one from GX, I have the songs on my 3DS. I do like the gameplay in GX more though. If they put the metal from X and the Gameplay from GX, I'll be there day one when it launches.

Reply #18 - February 04, 2014 11:47 AM EST
transmet2033

Ubisoft could do an entry in the NEW SMB series.  Scratch that.  The guys who made Rayman Legumes should make a new Wario game.

Reply #19 - February 04, 2014 03:09 PM EST
Matt McLennan

Ubisoft could do an entry in the NEW SMB series.  Scratch that.  The guys who made Rayman Legumes should make a new Wario game.

Ubi Montpeller(sp?), haven't heard from them in a while. Considering UbiSoft's policy of "games aren't worth making unless they become yearly franchises", and Montpeller hasn't had a major hit since... before Beyond Good & Evil... they must've split. Maybe.

Nintendo could help fund and publisher a BG&E like game with Michael Ancel, since the two got close before UbiSoft ruined everything with Rayman Legends.

Modified by Matt McLennan on February 04, 2014 03:13 PM EST.
Reply #20 - February 05, 2014 10:04 PM EST
SanAndreas

I'd actually like Level-5 to tackle Earthbound myself. They're a fantastic RPG company and they captured some of Earthbound's vibe in Ni no Kuni. Or perhaps have them do a new Super Mario RPG for Wii U.

Modified by SanAndreas on February 05, 2014 10:04 PM EST.
Reply #21 - February 08, 2014 12:29 AM EST
Coolsetzer

I mentioned this once before, but let From Software do a Zelda game. For real. Give them total control over the project, and they will have a blockbuster on the Wii U.

Reply #22 - February 08, 2014 10:25 AM EST
Casey Curran
STAFF

I don't think Zelda's that good of a fit for them from what I've seen of the Souls games. The atmosphere an discovery of their games just screams Metroid so much more.

Reply #23 - February 08, 2014 11:16 AM EST
Blake Turner
STAFF

Yeah, Casey's right. Dark Souls is a Metroidvania game through and through, right down to the atmosphere. Both Metroid and Dark Souls are about isolation and a feeling of loneliness, so I think it'd work.

As for Zelda, I think Vigil Games should make it - Oh wait. They already did...

Reply #24 - February 08, 2014 12:10 PM EST
transmet2033

Yeah, Casey's right. Dark Souls is a Metroidvania game through and through, right down to the atmosphere. Both Metroid and Dark Souls are about isolation and a feeling of loneliness, so I think it'd work.

As for Zelda, I think Vigil Games should make it - Oh wait. They already did...

If this is true, now I am really wondering why I haven't played Dark Souls yet. 

Reply #25 - February 08, 2014 02:37 PM EST
Machocruz

I don't think Zelda's that good of a fit for them from what I've seen of the Souls games. The atmosphere an discovery of their games just screams Metroid so much more.

From Software are versatile. They've made more than the Souls games. They have a first person, fantasy RPG series based on Ultima Underworld, a long running mech series, two action games steeped in Japanese mythology, a stealth ninja series. I have no doubt in my mind they could recreate the appropriate tone for Zelda, and their games prove they can realize the structure of the 2D Zelda games in 3D.  There are reasons that the Souls games get compared to Castlevania, Metroid, AND LoZ. In fact, they're more like Zelda and Castlevania than Metroid, which has significant platforming and run-and-gun components. Armored Core (mobile shooting and technology) combined with Otogi/Tenchu (Agility and acrobatics) provide a more relevant groundwork for Metroid.

Modified by Machocruz on February 08, 2014 02:39 PM EST.

Replies 1 - 25  of  32  1   2  »