Digital Mystery Tour

Digital Mystery Tour Episode 12: Fight On

These tracks will punch you in the face with their sheer awesomeness!

It's week two of Battle Themes Month here on Digital Mystery Tour! JD opened things up with some great tracks from modern JRPGs. I decided to widen the range a bit, and have some excellent fight music that spans multiple generations and genres. Tune in next week to see what Angelo has come up with, and be sure to comment on my blog post to get some of your choices in the final week of Battle Themes!

THIS WEEK'S MUSIC:

00:00 Beyond Good & Evil- First Encounter

06:33 Street Fighter IV- Volcanic Rim

08:58 Punch-Out!! (2009)- Theme Song

12:01 Mega Man 2- Dr. Wiley's Castle Level 1

14:40 Streets of Rage 2- Never Return Alive

18:56 Devil May Cry- Lock & Load

20:40 Bayonetta- Climactic Battle

22:56 Final Fantasy XIII- Blinded By Light

25:44 Too Human- Grendel's Lair

Comments

NSonic79

08/13/2013 at 02:16 AM Reply | Permalink | Report

I"d go for some remixes of these original tunes myself, espiecally if they are just the 8bit offerings. Though I have nothing against 8bit tunes I do love a remix of a theme I enjoyed as a child, if done right that is. Loved DJAxis's take on the Dr. Wily castle theme myself.

transmet2033

08/13/2013 at 09:47 AM Reply | Permalink | Report

If there are chiptunes that are worth listening to, why wouldn't you include them?

GeminiMan78

08/14/2013 at 09:50 AM Reply | Permalink | Report

I don't mind chiptune, it has a certain quality that I guese is just nostalgic. But in the case of the Mega Man 2 peice you played I would have opted for the version by the MiniBosses. They also do a cool version of the Punch Out theme.

Julian Titus Reviews Editor

08/14/2013 at 10:36 PM Reply | Permalink | Report

I know a lot of people hate chiptunes. For me, I can still really appreciate that music. In a lot of ways I think it's far more distinct and varied than most modern music. Now, every game has sweeping and majestic orchestrated music, but very little of it stands out.

Angelo Grant Staff Writer

08/17/2013 at 12:11 PM Reply | Permalink | Report

Hmmmm... Maybe we should do a month of 8 bit music at some point :D

daftman

09/04/2013 at 12:05 PM Reply | Permalink | Report

I especially like that song from Beyond Good & Evil. I love the theme for that game too, "Sweet Home." And don't worry about us in regard to 8bit tunes. If anyone is going to appreciate that music, it's us right here on Pixlbit Smile

Log in to your PixlBit account in the bar above or join the site to leave a comment.

Podcast

Hot Story

Nerds Without Pants Episode 65.5: Catharsis

Well hello again. It’s time for part two of Nerds Without Pants episode 65: the show so nice we named it twice. This is a continuation of our lengthy discussion with Liana Kerzer, and this entire episode is about mental health and how video games can tie into that and even help. This ends up being a very personal episode of Nerds Without Pants, and you are about to see a different side of Angelo, Patrick, and Julian. So enjoy, and we hope that this topic begins some open discussion. Keep in mind that there are spoilers for the Gears of War and God of War series throughout.

Read More...