Alex-C25's Comments - Page 2

What's With All the Sonic Hate?

Posted on 10/18/2016 at 09:34 PM | Filed Under Feature

I've been a Sonic fan since 2004 and never backed down from the series even on its bad days. Having been in the fandom for almost literally a decade, I think there are certain factors involved:

1. Bad views towards the fanbase: I'm with Julian on the fact that the rabid fans give a bad impression of the kind of people that play the game, with the more common period from what i've know being of the late 2000s and early 2010s era of the franchise where they reared their ugly head. But I do wanna say that measuring the rabid fans from the rest is hard to pinpoint, so for all that it's actually real, it may be just a vocal minority. Also because of the weird, cringy and/or plain bad fanworks, but come on! Every big franchise with a notable fandom isn't inmune to that!

2. Views towards the modern games: Whenever it started with the first Sonic Adventure, Heroes or the spin-off Shadow the Hedgehog, it's been a mixed ride on modern games, some getting good to great recognition (Adventure 2, Colors, Generations, many of the handheld games), other not so much (Sonic 06 as an obvious example). Having played Sonic Heroes (my first ever 3D Sonic, which I loved at the time) two years ago and finding it to be dated in certain aspects, there's some definitely flaws  rearing through and certain mechanics haven't dated well in certain games, which mostly have to do with Sega and Sonic Team trying to find the best way to put Sonic in 3D and later on trying to please a fandom that's broken on what should be done with Sonic, thus creating inconsistencies, which to be fair they seem to have found a good balance with the normal portions of Unleashed and adapting those to the better received games of Colors and Generations.

3. Lastly and what I feel to be the main one; many gaming "journalists" are simply dicks: Honestly, this article right here explains what I mean by that (and even mentions that Podcast). The only thing I can add is the fact that of course there's trolls and fan haters that only focus on the negative aspects and rabid fans, thus trying imply that the whole franchise is that way.

Anyway, I feel that for those who are still loyal to Sonic like me it's been really rough on the last couple of years, but I do think there's bright things to come, mostly on Sonic Mania and Sega even seeking co-peration with fans for game projects. Either way, we've been incredibly close on many fronts and rather than take a negative outlook on the franchise, we welcome the positive changes and most of us have pretty much started to ignore most mainstream gaming sites for being incredibly unreliable.

Anyway, i've been rambling for too long, so i'll just say that this was a pretty great article Chris and i'm with you in defending the franchise from badly done criticism (either of older games or otherwise).

What's With All the Sonic Hate?

Posted on 10/18/2016 at 09:04 PM | Filed Under Feature

The rabid fanbase does have some backing to that on the late 2000s and early 2010s era (i've experienced it), but I think nowadays the fanbase has become more chill. We can't also really measure how much there are rabid fans compared to normal ones either way.

Another Game Off Mount Backlog: Sleeping Dogs Definitive Edition

Posted on 10/18/2016 at 08:48 PM | Filed Under Blogs

Haven't played the game, but honestly I findunfair calling this a poor man's clone since that implies it's a cheap copy trying to ride the coats of its influence, which I feel Sleeping Dogs isn't. There's also the fact that this one was going to be the third True Crime game, but after its cancellation by Activision, Square-Enix picked the rights and its dev and pretty much made Sleeping Dogs.

But I digress, I am definitely interested in playing Sleeping Dogs.

My GOTY Shortlist is a long ass list.

Posted on 10/18/2016 at 12:16 AM | Filed Under Blogs

Ehh don't worry, it's just that I hear enough drama and discourse of gaming that I really don't want to involve them here that much lately.

My GOTY Shortlist is a long ass list.

Posted on 10/17/2016 at 11:51 PM | Filed Under Blogs

Firewatch, The Witness and Darkest Dungeon. I would leave it at that please.

Bargain Bin Buys- Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love

Posted on 10/17/2016 at 03:40 PM | Filed Under Blogs

I definitely want to eventually get this for my Wii since i've been interested for a while since it was released. I just hope it doesn't become a rarity.

My GOTY Shortlist is a long ass list.

Posted on 10/17/2016 at 03:30 PM | Filed Under Blogs

I'm late as always, so I haven't gotten a chance to play any of the games released this year. I am very interested in quite a lot of these (though some of them i'd rather not bother for reasons i'd also rather not bring up).

I almost bought Oxenfree on the last Summer Sale, but ended up going for other choices.

Games i've Beaten so far in 2016, Part 3

Posted on 10/17/2016 at 12:47 AM | Filed Under Blogs

Definitely a great one, even if it's dated in some aspects. From what i've seen (and remember), the combat is improved in latter installments.

Quick Hits: Chris Reviews Budget Headphones

Posted on 10/15/2016 at 02:19 PM | Filed Under Blogs

Next time you should do an entry on good earphones with microphones. Mine works good, but i'd apreciate some that can give clarity to my voice if i'm talking on Skype.

Snee Needs This!

Posted on 10/15/2016 at 02:07 PM | Filed Under Blogs

If I had lots of money, I would also get that Beatles Yellow Submarine set.

Comments 11 - 20  of  3490 «  1   2   3   4  »