Exrian's Comments - Page 10

Episode 105: The Best of the Worst Year

Posted on 02/15/2017 at 07:40 AM | Filed Under Feature

Yeah I understand that. Starting a new job at my company and don't think I'll have the same free listening time. I'll find out though. If anything I'll have to shut off my second TV and listen to podcasts instead of reruns to my favorite sitcoms.

Episode 105: The Best of the Worst Year

Posted on 02/08/2017 at 03:50 PM | Filed Under Feature

Got to go check those out. I came late to the party on podcasts. I started bombcast about 3 to 4 years ago. I was shocked when 3 hours of new podcast were added each day. I was wondering if it was even worth the time. So glad I did. I've gone back as far as 2011 but keep getting distracted by other podcasts. My weekly podcast hours are around 13. The Giantbomb GOTY stuff has surpassed Super Bowl to me, lol.

Wednesday is still a great day. Doesn't fall on Bomb or Beastcast so perfect timing.

Episode 105: The Best of the Worst Year

Posted on 02/05/2017 at 08:03 AM | Filed Under Feature

CWelcome back standard NWPcast. First off, I was saddened to hear about your depression Julian. I guess holidays can bring that out sometimes when we miss those we love. Glad to hear you're doing better. Nothing like gaming to drive out the sadness.

Got to be honest and say that the move from Sunday is a bummer. You guys had a prime slot there since nothing else comes out Sundays and I'm finished with my weekly podcast backlog by Saturday night. That was actually one of my favorite things about NWP since it always started my week. But you guys will have top spot on Wednesday.

Julian, it seems like you enjoy the Bombcast GOTY deliberations as much as I do. It's like a 2nd Super Bowl for me, lol. I get all hyped up around October for them. Though I was disappointed the top 10 didn't have a true deep cut. Dan (Stardew Valley), Austin (Thumper), and Vinny? (Can't remember who wanted Hyper Light Drifter) all getting their personal game of choice in the top 10 was a bummer. I really wanted to see what happened when someone had to give. Having Austin go to bat for something is always entertaining. That year he fought for Brothers in the top 10 was hilarious as Guirstman kept trying to make a deal to drop it.

Stage Select:

3. God of War 3: The whole opening up til defeating Neptune was amazing. It was like a game ending (which I guess it technically was).

2. The Last of Us: I really like LoU but am not as high on it as most. That said, the opening really grabbed me. Maybe because we was shortly after the birth of my daughter but it hit me at an emotional Level probably no other game has.

1. Chrono Cross: It's mostly nostalgia but the cinematic before starting the game blew me away. The music and scenes all mashed together is ultimately what let me to buy it.

Chrono Crossing 2001: Devil May Cry

Definitely my choice here. I had never played a game like it. The combat and Dante were so awesome. Bosses were memorable. Another contender for a great opening also.

Special: The Cutting Room Floor

Posted on 01/20/2017 at 09:38 PM | Filed Under Feature

Nice clip show Julian. Really made my FF15 grinding fly by. Got backed up with holidays and caught the other episode also. Looking forward to a new year of NWP.

Episode 102: Level Lords

Posted on 12/11/2016 at 02:21 PM | Filed Under Feature

Glad to hear you finally jumped in. It's a great game and you should get your money's worth. With all DLC being free you can pop in at any time and not have to worry about it. It also has that HUGE Blizzard audience so it'll be around til part 2 is released.

Episode 102: Level Lords

Posted on 12/03/2016 at 11:42 PM | Filed Under Feature

Stage Select:
1. Santa Monica gets Castlevania: I love Lords of Shadow and the spectacle of God of War. While I prefer LoS combat to GoW I'd be interested in seeing where this goes.

2. Whoever did Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge gets Starfox: Crimson Skies had amazing gameplay and a great campaign/multiplayer. I'd love to see how they revitalize Starfox.

3. Bioware gets the Chrono Series: Chrono Cross had plenty of unique characters. Unfortunately most aren't fleshed out that well. Bioware is plenty capable of making unique and fleshed out characters. The original Star Wars: KOTOR had a gameplay system that I believe would fit a new Chrono Cross. Add in a solid morale system and I could have the game of my dreams.

Chrono Crossing 2002: Guilty Gear X2

To be honest it should be Metroid Prime but I'm sure that'll already be talked about extensively. So I'll go Guilty Gear.

It managed to differentiate itself from Street Fighter and be amazing in the process. Unique characters, Roman Cancels, False Roman Cancels, Burst meters, rock music, 1 hit kill finishers, and so much more made this game so different from other 2D Fighters. You could also unlock a 2nd moveset per characrer through extensive play practically doubling the roster. It's a shame we never got the Street Fighter vs Guilty Gear crossover.

Episode 102: Level Lords

Posted on 12/03/2016 at 11:41 PM | Filed Under Feature

Great show guys. You always seem to make it work with 1 man down.

Thumbs up on that Shadow of the Colossus video you recommended Julian. I finally got around to seeing it and wasn't disappointed (outside of their not being a 17th hidden colossus). Hearing about the possible alternate ending made me think how cool it could have been if you resurrected the girl, turned into the 17th Colossus, and you played as her to defeat the hidden colossus.

It sucks that we didn't get more stage select entries but it did feel like a tall order. You got to love Patrick's imagination. His first stage select topic and answer was unlike anything I could have imagined. He chooses topics that require some great thought but unfortunately  I know I cant take up 5 minutes with 2 pages of text. I originally wanted to choose Chrono Cross. There's been a theory that you can enter the main island of Chrono Trigger from Chrono Cross. Every time you try there's a waterfall or something blocking your path. I had a whole story in mind years ago but way too long for a short podcast segment that I'm not actually speaking in.

Julian you really need to stop worrying about your FPS skills in Overwatch. There's plenty of characters that don't require the twitch FPS skills of a teenager. Mei, Mercy, Winston, Symmetra, Reinhardt, and Zenyatta can easily be effective for someone who plays FPS games regularly enough. Reaper, Bastion, Junkrat (who I'd recommend for beginners), Torbjorn, and D-Va may require a bit more skill but if you beat Doom you're plenty qualified.

Episode 101: Switching Things Up

Posted on 11/27/2016 at 05:00 PM | Filed Under Feature

Unfortunately I haven't and the time commitment scares me these days. Full time job with crazy shifts and hours and a 3 year old mean game time is limited. Maybe one day though.

Episode 101: Switching Things Up

Posted on 11/19/2016 at 02:52 PM | Filed Under Feature

Great podcast guys. I need to look through my games to see what I have worth of value. Unfortunately I grew up without a SNES so don't have much from that console which is one of the ones with the best gems. 2004 was definitely a huge year for games. So hard to pick just 1.

I also never had a gaming PC so missed out on MMOs and have never really jumped into them even now. Unless you count Destiny, I dont. I tried so desperately to find a way to play FFXI but there was no feasible way cause I was 16.

2003 is another year that's very hard for me to pick because there are 2 amazing games that appear to be forgotten in time. They haven't had a sequel since then.

Chrono Crossing 2003: Phantasy Star Online 3: C.A.R.D Revolution (Gamecube)

HUGE shout out to Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge for Xbox. It introduced me to the world of online gaming and will always hold a special place in my heart for that. Still dying for a sequel...

But PSO3 is my game of 2003. It's deservedly underrated. I never played PSO1&2 but I can see the disappointment from fans on 3. The concept was unlike the first two. It was more of a card collecter and had me hooked for months until I messed up my Saved Data during a transfer (Still hurts...).

Honestly this year saddens me since sequels have never released since. Crimson Skies may have its day but I don't think I'll find anything like PSO3 again.

Stage Select: Doom Marine vs Hells Champion

I'll stay recent, in Doom (2016) you hear stories of a colossal demon called the Titan. He faced the Doom Marine only to fall. I don't think he reappeared (Unless that was the final boss. If you guys have any knowledge of the first showdown please elaborate because I never finished the previous games).

I went the rest of the game thinking about a battle against a strong "smaller," demon. I want something like Kratos vs Hercules, Link vs Ganondorf in Twilight Princess, or Bloodbornes final boss. Huge and monstrous is fine but I love personal, intimate battles like these and really wanted one between the Doom Marine and a fearsome Demon who could stand toe to toe with him. My lost level would have been like Snake in Metal Gear Solid 4 fighting Ocelot on the Submarine. Only in Hell, as an FPS, with fire engulfing the arena.

Five Things Mass Effect Could Improve On

Posted on 11/02/2016 at 06:30 AM | Filed Under Feature

Nice article. I really need to go back and play ME1 again. As I've mentioned before, I beat it a few weeks before 2 released so didn't get to really dive in like I would have. I really enjoyed it but was dying for part 2. 2 is the one that sticks with me most since I was obsessed with it while waiting for 3.

I'm totally in favor of dropping Heat sinks. Doom was crazy nonstop fun. Once you have Assault Rifle Micro Missles with over 75 armor you never want to hit a reload ever again.

You missed something though. What happened to our Elevator rides? The true unsung hero of the game. I'm sure I got a lot more stretching, bathroom breaks, and hydration that I didn't get in 2/3.

Comments 91 - 100  of  123 «  8   9   10   11   12  »