Exrian's Comments - Page 11

Episode 109: Can't Hardly Wait For '98

Posted on 03/31/2017 at 09:30 AM | Filed Under Feature

Great show guys. I totally missed Fighters Destiny. That would have hit my 5. It was a cool premise to base a match off who got to the point limit first. Nice call on who picked it.

Stage select was tough. Favorite game music or specific genres is easy but specifically villages is hard because I don't remember most. Here's some of my standouts though. I'm sure there's many I'm forgetting.

Stage Select:

Guldove (Another World) from Chrono Cross

Marbule (Home World) from Chrono Cross

around the 47 second mark especially https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Yd4tiM1yV7o

Wep'keer Village  (Okami)

Chrono Crossing 1997: Megaman X4

I started Megaman on Sega Channel with part 3 and loved the series. I missed all the SNES stuff and picked up X4. Having 2 unique characters was great for replay value. Zero was really cool and I can still remember the anime cutscene where he pummels Sigma vividly.

Episode 108: California Dreamin'

Posted on 03/18/2017 at 03:10 AM | Filed Under Feature

I figured the heavy Switch talk was the biggest culprit. It's too bad cause I know you would fit right in on a standard show. I hope it isn't the last time you guest star on there. Especially since they always seem short a guest with Adam or, typically, Alice missing.

Episode 108: California Dreamin'

Posted on 03/17/2017 at 11:31 AM | Filed Under Feature

Great one guys. Julian it was great to catch you on Comics Conspiracy and Geekbox. Thanks for the shout out. Hopefully you get some carry overs from there. Though I got to be honest and say you seemed much more reserved on there. I'm sure it's hard to guest on a podcast with an established crew. I hope there's a next time in line.

I'm playing through Horizon now and it's amazing. The combat is excellent and it's challenging. At least so far. I didn't think I'd die much but I'm definitely getting it handed to me. I can't recall your thoughts in the new Tomb Raiders but I see some similarities there in a good way.

Anyway, on to my picks. I'll start off and say that I missed a lot of PSX stuff and never got into PC so it'll probably look strange. Well stranger than normal when it comes to my picks.

5. WCW vs NWO: Revenge
This was the wrestling game I wanted for years. The fact that it was WCW at a time where I was all WWF (screw you pandas) didn't matter. The gameplay was excellent and kept my friends and I busy for a long time.

4. Pokemon Trading Card Game
I was obsessed with Pokemon this year and picked up this gameboy game. I was addicted for months and would still be today if a new one released. It taught me how to play the physical game which I already had a nice collection of. I wish we would have gotten a US release of the part 2. Maybe one day...

3. Parasite Eve
I picked this up on a whim and really liked it. It took me awhile to finish between other games but when I finally buckled down and finished it years later, I wish i had done so sooner. The story behind Mitochondria was really intriguing and had me doing research. I enjoyed it so much that I even named my daughter after the main character, Aya.

2. Pokemon Red
Pokemon became such a huge addiction for me. Looking back I guess it may have been my first RPG but I never associated it as one. I just wanted to catch'em all. I dropped the series years later but jumped in fully a few years ago and am glad I did.

1. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
My first Zelda game and number 2 on my all time list. No other Zelda has come close to topping it to me. It could be nostalgia but I feel it easily holds on it's own by today's standards. Outside of Chrono Cross, it's the game I've completed most. Especially with the 3DS release. It seems like every new Zelda comes with the, "Possibly better than Ocarina of Time" quote but I think if you grew up with this one that will be nearly impossible.

Episode 107: Beginner's Guide to Console Wars

Posted on 03/06/2017 at 12:12 PM | Filed Under Feature

Great podcast again. I got you Julian, I will not miss my chance to glorify my favorite game of all time. It's the only reason I stumbled into NWP which has become a favorite of mine.

Once I realized I'd be sticking with NWP for the long haul, I did a quick inspection of my entire collection for possible Chrono Crossing candidates. I then used a quick Google search to get their release dates. Before submitting I tend to hit Metacritcs best games of whatever year to nail down my final choice in case I missed something. I had Chrono Cross under 1999 initally because Google gave me the Japan release date. So with that technicality in mind...

Chrono Crossing 1999: Chrono Cross

Easily my favorite game of 1999 (based on the Japan release date) and even my favorite of all time. Without it I don't think I'd be here listening to NWP which would be a shame. I've replayed Chrono Cross enough times to see all endings and collect everything. It was my first trip into RPGs which may be why I'm so nostalgic for it. I remember seeing the commercial for it. The cutscenes and music grabbed me and I knew I had to have it based off nothing else. I can still recite the opening poem since I'd watch the whole opening cutscene before starting the game every time. I would even sit down the controller while I listened to "Another World" play in the background constantly. I realize it isn't perfect, especially as years have passed, but it's still the game I remember most fondly. I know I'll be replaying it well into my old age.

Hope I'm doing stage select right. I wasn't sure if it was for games never released that we saw were in development or something rumored could be sufficient as well.

Stage Select:
3. Ura Zelda:

A recent article reminded me of this. It was going to be an expansion to Ocarina of Time. At the time I had replayed OoT at least a dozen times and couldn't put it down. The idea of new content was making me anxious. The Master Quest was supposedly the end result of Ura Zelda but, while great, was disappointing because it lacked true new content.

2. Metroid Dread:
The hints of another side scrolling Metroid game had me salivating. Especially since it was going to be the first to take advantage of my lovely DS. Unfortunately, it never manifested into a game we could all enjoy. At least Metroid Prime: Hunters gave us our DS Metroid fix, right? Prime Pinball? Federation Force, maybe...

1. Chrono Break:
The game I still hold onto with the sliver of hope that it'll come. Not long after playing Chrono Cross, I read news about Squaresoft copyrighting the name of something called Chrono Break. It immediately jumped to the top of my, "MUST HAVE" list and I waited very impatiently for ANY news I could get on it. Every E3 that passed without even a name drop drained my soul little. That said I do believe that there may be a day where Square brings back the Chrono series.

Episode 106: Allow Myself to Introduce...Myself

Posted on 03/02/2017 at 08:07 AM | Filed Under Feature

It's alright. The new schedule along with my new job has me off a bit. Either way I won't miss my chance to praise my favorite game. I initially had it for the year prior with quick Google searches. Turns out that I saw the Japan release which is why I was off a year.

Episode 106: Allow Myself to Introduce...Myself

Posted on 02/24/2017 at 10:48 AM | Filed Under Feature

Hopefully I'm not late to comment. I'll be omitting current generation consoles since it's still going.

Stage Select: Favorite Consoles

3. Sega Genesis: While I started with NES, I spent the majority of my younger years playing this. Sega Channel introduced me to hundreds of games and many gems like Gunstar Heroes, Gain Ground, Dr. Robotniks Mean Bean Machine, Shinobi 3, and so many more.

2. Xbox 360: It's real close between this and PS3 but I give the edge to 360 for the superior online service.

1. Playstation 2: This console was the one I played through high-school. I had my first job, at Gamestop no less, around this time so my PS2 collection is huge. Some of my all time favorite games came from this console.

Sorry but I may rant a bit for this Chrono Crossing.

Chrono Crossing 2000: Chrono Cross

Easily my favorite game of 2000 and even my favorite of all time. Without it I don't think I'd be here listening to NWP which would be a shame. I've replayed Chrono Cross enough times to see all endings and collect everything. It was my first trip into RPGs which may be while I'm so nostalgic for it. I remember seeing the commercial for it. The cutscenes and music grabbed me and knew I had to have it based off nothing else. I can still recite the opening poem since I'd watch the whole opening cutscene before starting the game every time. I would even sit down the controller while I listened to "Another World" play in the background constantly. I realize it isn't perfect, especially as years have passed, but it's still the game I remember most fondly. I know I'll be replaying it well into my old age.

Episode 105: The Best of the Worst Year

Posted on 02/15/2017 at 07:40 AM | Filed Under Feature

Yeah I understand that. Starting a new job at my company and don't think I'll have the same free listening time. I'll find out though. If anything I'll have to shut off my second TV and listen to podcasts instead of reruns to my favorite sitcoms.

Episode 105: The Best of the Worst Year

Posted on 02/08/2017 at 03:50 PM | Filed Under Feature

Got to go check those out. I came late to the party on podcasts. I started bombcast about 3 to 4 years ago. I was shocked when 3 hours of new podcast were added each day. I was wondering if it was even worth the time. So glad I did. I've gone back as far as 2011 but keep getting distracted by other podcasts. My weekly podcast hours are around 13. The Giantbomb GOTY stuff has surpassed Super Bowl to me, lol.

Wednesday is still a great day. Doesn't fall on Bomb or Beastcast so perfect timing.

Episode 105: The Best of the Worst Year

Posted on 02/05/2017 at 08:03 AM | Filed Under Feature

CWelcome back standard NWPcast. First off, I was saddened to hear about your depression Julian. I guess holidays can bring that out sometimes when we miss those we love. Glad to hear you're doing better. Nothing like gaming to drive out the sadness.

Got to be honest and say that the move from Sunday is a bummer. You guys had a prime slot there since nothing else comes out Sundays and I'm finished with my weekly podcast backlog by Saturday night. That was actually one of my favorite things about NWP since it always started my week. But you guys will have top spot on Wednesday.

Julian, it seems like you enjoy the Bombcast GOTY deliberations as much as I do. It's like a 2nd Super Bowl for me, lol. I get all hyped up around October for them. Though I was disappointed the top 10 didn't have a true deep cut. Dan (Stardew Valley), Austin (Thumper), and Vinny? (Can't remember who wanted Hyper Light Drifter) all getting their personal game of choice in the top 10 was a bummer. I really wanted to see what happened when someone had to give. Having Austin go to bat for something is always entertaining. That year he fought for Brothers in the top 10 was hilarious as Guirstman kept trying to make a deal to drop it.

Stage Select:

3. God of War 3: The whole opening up til defeating Neptune was amazing. It was like a game ending (which I guess it technically was).

2. The Last of Us: I really like LoU but am not as high on it as most. That said, the opening really grabbed me. Maybe because we was shortly after the birth of my daughter but it hit me at an emotional Level probably no other game has.

1. Chrono Cross: It's mostly nostalgia but the cinematic before starting the game blew me away. The music and scenes all mashed together is ultimately what let me to buy it.

Chrono Crossing 2001: Devil May Cry

Definitely my choice here. I had never played a game like it. The combat and Dante were so awesome. Bosses were memorable. Another contender for a great opening also.

Special: The Cutting Room Floor

Posted on 01/20/2017 at 09:38 PM | Filed Under Feature

Nice clip show Julian. Really made my FF15 grinding fly by. Got backed up with holidays and caught the other episode also. Looking forward to a new year of NWP.

Comments 101 - 110  of  139 «  9   10   11   12   13  »